Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sept 26 Playlist + The Beatles White Album

http://wvkr.radioactivity.fm/playlist.html?djoid=1633&date=09-26-2008

I gotta get me a way to post my shows on the web like Primitive George started doing. www.theprimitiveshow.com I wanna be like Georgie! I wanna be like Georgie!

OK, so Friday's show....a little different. The result of taking the morning off, surrounded by dismal drizzle and the taste of the week's economic and political news fresh in my mouth. Had a really upbeat, poppy peppy 60s show all lined up for the opening segment, but umm....come crunch time, just wasn't feelin' it.

So I did what I usually do when I'm feeling a little down--I went through my record collection. The LPs this time, not the 45s. And there were all these great rock albums from the 60s (yes, I'm so anal I have them ABC'd by decade). In particular, I found these great discs from 1968 that I don't usually play on my show and I felt like they just NEEDED to be heard on a day like Friday! So out with the original playlist and in with the new. The response was positive, but then there's no way to tell if you listened, got turned off, and turned the radio off. If you did, I'd love to know that too!

Speaking of Primitive George, he played a couple cuts from "The Beatles" (aka The White Album, as you all know). Geez, did that bring back memories! And not pleasant ones. "Sexy Sadie." "Everybody's Trying To Hide Except Me And My Monkey." And I made a comment on the air about how that album is one of the most overrated pieces of crap ever commited to vinyl. One of you called to support that theorum; another took me to task.

So I went back and looked at the track listing. Hmm...WAS I being hasty? A good half of the album is classic! USSR, Prudence, Guitar Weeps, Blackbird, I Will, Helter Skelter, Birthday (before it got ruined by DJs using it to announce celebrity birthdays and such) and of course Revolution, the good one . (i mean "Number 9" is interesting once. That's it.)

But Piggies? Ob La Di? Bungalow Bill? Warm Gun? Rocky Raccoon? WHY DONT WE DO IT IN THE ROAD???? Yuk. Call it innovative, progressive, full of hidden meaning, I call it bloated and pretentious.

Plus I associate the abysmal "Hey Jude" with "The Beatles" because they were out at the same time. Good song, just goes on too long. Right? (SPOILER ALERT: Warning, I WILL talk over the nah nah nah nahhhs when it's time to play it in a few weeks!)

A lot of the other songs I don't recognize by the titles, so maybe they're not so bad either. "The White Album" is one of the most controversial albums of all time in terms of love it or hate it. Where do YOU stand? Am I totally off here? I say let's just make it a SINGLE album (which we can do thanks to 2008 technology as opposed to 1968) and leave it at that. Agree or disagree publicly by posting a comment or emal privately lostoldies@yahoo.com

Again thanks for listening and THANK YOU to those who pledged to WVKR and who have sent in their donation. Your swag is on the way!

Sammy

No comments: